The Pediatric Inpatient Unit at the Children's Hospital at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (CHaD) is a 23-patient multispecialty pediatric medical and surgical unit serving infants and children up to 19 years of age.
Our unit hosts three levels of care for infants, children, and adolescents in one space:
- Specialized pediatric medical and surgical care for most patients.
- Pediatric Intensive Care (PICU) for patients with the most complex and critical needs.
- Intermediate care for patients needing more support than standard, or stepping down from PICU care as they improve.
All rooms include facilities for a family member to sleep by the child's bedside. The environment is built around a New England village theme with wall-sized murals creating an ambiance of healing and interest for young patients.
Facilities include a child playroom, open play areas throughout the unit, and a teen lounge. A dedicated Child Life Program serves children and families.
We provide many features to make you as comfortable as possible during your stay. Areas include:
- Family lounge: In this lounge, you'll find coffee, snacks, and internet access.
- Family kitchen: For family use. If you bring in food, please label it with your name and date.
- Unit secretary: The unit secretaries greet and direct patients, families, and visitors to the unit. They are valuable resources to staff and families and can answer most of your general questions.
- Charge nurse: The charge nurse oversees daily patient flow and works closely with the other healthcare team members to help coordinate planning care for all patients.
- Playroom: There are toys for children, board games, music, and arts and crafts. The playroom does require parent/guardian supervision at all times.