Telephones and making calls
- You can make local calls free of charge using the bedside telephone.
- You can use a cell phone or a calling card to make a long-distance call.
- Cell phone reception is available.
- Your room's telephone number is (603) 650-2 + your room number. For example, if you're in room 531, the number is 603-650-2531.
- To make an outside call, first dial 32, and then the local number.
Television, VCRs, and DVDs
- The bedside remote turns on the television and VCR. There is a wide selection of movies for you to watch (DVD players are available).
- Movies are located across from the main desk.
- All rooms have a whiteboard that you can use to write down questions you want to remember to ask the Unit team.
- Please write your child's name on the board, especially if they have a nickname they prefer.
- Each day the nursing staff will write the names of your doctors, nurses, and nursing assistants on the whiteboard.
- Rooms have a handheld call button on the television remote control.
- Use the call button in the room to alert the nursing staff about an immediate patient need.
- There is also a call button in the bathroom for emergencies.
- Mail is delivered twice a day during the week.
- To mail a letter, give the letter to the unit secretary, who will put it in our "out" box.
- If mail arrives after you have gone home, it will be forwarded to your home.
- You'll find menus at the bedside.
- Meals arrive around 8:00 am, 12:15 pm, and 5:15 pm.
- If the meal tray doesn't arrive in your room, please check outside your room or ask a staff member. If you are a breastfeeding mother of a patient less than six months of age, please check with your nurse about food for you.
- We have a supply of drinks and snacks for patients available at all times. Snacks and light food are available in the family kitchen.
- The unit has breast pumps, but it's a good idea to bring your own, including equipment and cleaning supplies for your equipment.
- We have a family kitchen space if you want to bring your own food. Please label the food with your name and date.
- Family members can order a guest tray off the menu. This will be billed to you. Insurance does not cover the cost.
- For more information about other dining options, see Cafeterias and Other Dining Options on the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and Dartmouth Hitchcock Clinics website.