Each of our residents is expected to complete a scholarly project during his or her three years in our pediatric residency program. Resident projects are diverse and encompass all areas of academic work, including clinical and translational research, healthcare delivery science, educational research, advocacy, and quality improvement.
Each resident is able to pursue his or her area of interest with close faculty mentorship. Strong mentorship, departmental funding, and support for scholarly work are all central to our curriculum. A majority of our residents present their work at regional or national meetings, and many contribute to publications during their residency. Additionally, all of our residents present Grand Rounds in their third year of residency; this is an opportunity to highlight their scholarly work for the department.
Our scholarly activity curriculum, consisting of conference based-educational sessions, journal clubs, and structured assignments to gain skills in literature search and critical appraisal, is a longitudinal component of our resident education providing ongoing exposure to academic inquiry. This curriculum, paired with the invaluable experiences acquired through the process of conducting a scholarly project, builds a solid foundation for all our residents both to practice evidence-based medicine in the clinical setting and to pursue further academic endeavors.
Selected resident presentations and publications
Below is a sampling of resident projects completed over the past five years. If you have a particular area of interest you don’t see represented in this list, please feel free to ask for examples of projects completed in that area.
- Leyenaar JK, Arakelyan M, Acquilano SC, Gilbert TL, Craig JT, Lee CN, Kodak SG, Ignatova E, Mudge LA, House SA, Brady RE. I-CARE: Feasibility, Acceptability, and Appropriateness of a Digital Health Intervention for Youth Experiencing Mental Health Boarding. J Adolesc Health. 2023 Jun;72(6):923-932. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2023.01.015. Epub 2023 Mar 3.
- DeCaro JJ, Sanville JL. Food Protein-Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome. Pediatr Rev. 2023 Mar 1;44(3):185-187. doi: 10.1542/pir.2022-005559.
- Truelove JJ, House SA. Reducing PICC Placement in Pediatric Osteomyelitis: A Diamond in the Deimplementation Rough? Hosp Pediatr. 2021 Jun 29:hpeds.2021-006029.
- McLaughlin BT, Filiano JJ. Pediatric Brain Death. Pediatr Rev. 2021 Mar;42(3):161-163. doi: 10.1542/pir.2020-0133
- Payne KK, Mine JA, Biswas S, Chaurio RA, Perales-Puchalt A, Anadon CM, Costich TL, Harro CM, Walrath J, Ming Q, Tcyganov E, Buras AL, Rigolizzo KE, Mandal G, Lajoie J, Ophir M, Tchou J, Marchion D, Luca VC, Bobrowicz P, McLaughlin B, Eskiocak U, Schmidt M, Cubillos-Ruiz JR, Rodriguez PC, Gabrilovich DI, Conejo-Garcia JR. BTN3A1 governs antitumor responses by coordinating αβ and γδ T cells. Science. 2020 Aug 21;369(6506):942-949. doi: 10.1126/science.aay2767.
- Kilmartin KC, McCarty EJ, Shubkin CD, Holmes AV. Reducing Outpatient Infant Blood Draws with Transcutaneous Measurement of Bilirubin. Pediatr Qual Saf. 2020;5(4):e335.
- Reynolds ME, Murray RGP, House SA. An Infant Presenting With Fever and Thrombocytopenia. The Pediatric infectious disease journal. 2020;39(8):771-773.
- Breslin K, Balaban J, Shubkin CD. Adolescent suicide: what can pediatricians do? Current opinion in pediatrics. 2020;32(4):595-600.
- Coles CB, Shubkin CD. Effective, recommended, underutilized: A review of the literature on barriers to adolescent usage of long-acting reversible contraceptive methods. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2018 Oct;30(5)683-688
- Shaker M, Kanaoka T, Murray RGP, Toy D, Shaker S, Drew A. A survey of caregiver perspectives on emergency epinephrine autoinjector sharing. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2018 Sep-Oct;6(5):1792-1795
- Shaker M, Murray RGP, Mann JA. The ins and outs of an ‘outside-in’ view of allergies: atopic dermatitis and allergy prevention. Current opinion in pediatrics. 2018 Aug;30(4):576-581
- MacMillan KDL, Rendon CP, Verma K, Riblet N, Washer DB, Volpe Holmes A. Association of Rooming-in with outcomes for neonatal abstinence syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatrics. 2018 April 1;172(4):345-351
- Chernikova DA, Madan JC, Housman ML, Zain-Ul-Abideen M, Lundgren SN, Morrison HG, Sogin Ml, Williams SM, Moore JH, Karagas MR, Hoen AG. The premature infant gut microbiome during the first 6 weeks of life differs based on gestational maturity at birth. Pedatric Res. 2018 July;84(1):71-79
Regional and national presentations
- Abraham, N, House, S. “Post-COVID Kawasaki Disease Versus Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome Complicated by Herpes Simplex Virus-1 in a Two-Year-Old Child.” Poster, New England Pediatric Hospital Medicine Meeting, New Haven, CT, June 2023.
- McCarty EJ, Halloran SR, House SA, Leyenaar JK. Hospital boarding: A qualitative study of healthcare for youth awaiting psychiatric placement. Platform Presentation, Academic Pediatric Association Region 1 Meeting. Virtual 03/29/2021.
- Shubkin CD, Felek S, O’Dea CL. What does diversity mean to you? Multi-site analysis of resident perspectives on racial diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging initiatives. Virtual presentation, Association of Pediatric Program Directors Meeting. March 2021.
- Tou A, Al-Nimr A. Esophageal squamous papilloma in children: A single center case series. Virtual presentation, North American Society For Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition Annual Meeting. November 2020.
- Felek, S, The Healer's Tales: A New England Story Slam Championship. A virtual night of story-telling by medical students, residents, and fellows across New England.
- Truelove J, Leyenaar J, House S, Freed G, Leslie LK. Factors associated with pediatric hospitalists' intent to pursue subspeciality certification in pediatric hospital medicine. Oral presentation, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, May 2020.
- Schlogl J, Whatley C, Aldrich-Walton A, Whalen B, Holmes A. Successful reduction of newborn falls on a mother-baby unit. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies and Academic Pediatric Association Conference for Pediatric Quality Improvement Methods, Research and Evaluation, Philadelphia, PA, May 2020
- Truelove JJ, Carrol L, Bradley J, Kilmartin K, House S. A resident-led quality improvement initiative to increase nursing presence on inpatient rounds. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies and Academic Pediatric Association Conference for Pediatric Quality Improvement Methods, Research and Evaluation, Philadelphia, PA, May 2020
- Mamolea C, Liu C, Kong L, Fussell M, Gill H, Nett S, Slogic S, Braga M. Emergency airway outcomes outside critical care units at a rural academic tertiary care hospital. Oral presentation, Society for Critical Care Medicine Conference, Orlando, FL, Feb 2020.
- Murray R, Kong L, Braga M, Fussell M, Gill H, Slogic S, Nett S. Life safety nurse consult: A Unique role in our rapid response program. Oral presentation, Society for Critical Care Medicine Conference, Orlando, FL, Feb 2020.
- Truelove J, Murray R, Tanski S, Chapman S. Addressing the oral health of families in an underserved, rural community. Poster, American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, LA, October 2019.
- Newton, ZJ, Altemose KE, Pettus JR, Weinstein AR. The clinical manifestations, treatments, and outcomes of pediatric patients with Henoch-Schonlein Purpura (HSP) requiring renal biopsy. Poster, Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, April 2019.
News articles and other publications
- Abraham, N. Opinion: Addressing the child mental health crisis. The Concord Monitor. 2023.
- O’Keefe K and Lamar L. Our turn: Bill would be an attack on transgender youth. The Concord Monitor. February 6 2021.
- Moriarty A. My Turn: This November, cast your ballot for the kids. The Concord Monitor. 2020.
- Moriarty A. My Turn: Paid family medical leave and COVID-19. The Concord Monitor. March 2020.
- Felek S. The war and the remedy. American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Bioethics, 2nd place winner, 2019 Essay Contest.
- Goronga FP, Felek S. The anti-racist pediatrician. New Hampshire American Academy of Pediatrics Newsletter. Spring 2020.